Deafness brings along with it other related issues - some major and some minor. Jiya had some vestibular issues initially. By writing about the steps that helped Jiya, I hope to be of help to some other worried mom out there.
When Jiya was 7 months old, I had made trip to Inidia with her. On our 16 hour flight, a lot of my co-passengers took Jiya off my hands so that I could eat or visit the restroom. When they handed her back to me, they all had one thing is common to say to me 'Why isnt your 7 month old able to lift her head?'
As soon as I reached India, she started getting a massage daily. (It is a norm in India that newborns are massaged everyday for the first year of their lives by a masseuse who specializes in babies). Within 1 week, there was a lot of improvement. she could hold her head up for short durations.
Another thing that helped her was a walker. As soon as she realized the independence that the walker gave her, she was all for it. Within a span of 2 weeks, we were from a baby with no head control to one with a great head and body control. At about 8 months she was able to sit unsupported for a short time and by 9 months she was sitting on her own.
Back in the US, we were unable to find a walker that was as light weight. It took some time but she got used to the walker here. Now at 15 months, she has pretty much forgotten crawling and is almost walking full time.
Babies with vestibular delays eventually get there, but I am sure the massages and the walker gave her the much needed push.


2 comments:
Just found your blog. Your daughter is beautiful :-)
Any update of your daughter?
Post a Comment