Right Ear

Left Ear

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jiya hears 'Jiya'

Both of Jiya's activations were successes. Both times, she heard the sounds immediately and was curious to know the source of sound.  Contrary to what we had expected, she didn't cry at all. Happy with this success, our expectations had risen. But even after a few weeks, all she responded to was loud environmental noises such as a cooker whistle, car honking and a train passing by within a few feet of her.
To add to all this, we started having problems with her processors. At one point when we changed her right processor, the remote start beeping and flashing the 'battery low' sign. Changing batteries and the battery holders didnt help. Even getting a new processor from cochlear didnt work.
We had the same issue with her left processor recently. It was later determined that this was due to her programs being too strong. But inspite of this, she was responding at 65dbs for the lower frequencies and 40 dbs for the higher ones.
Last week, Jiya's audiologist changed her mapping strategy and within 2 days she was consistently turning to 'Jiya'. Finally, we see some progress. She is still not saying any words or for even attempting to imitate us. But hopefully this mapping strategy works for her.
While things were starting to get better, one fine morning, her processor decided that it is not going to turn on. We have got it replaced and hopefully Jiya is back on her track to hearing better.

4 comments:

Lone Star Family said...

It's a good thing the new technology allows us to detect when something is wrong. I hope she gets back on track too. Do you use Leslie as your audiologist over at Dr. Peters?

Bill and Shelly said...

Thank you for your comments on our blog.
We are farther down the CI road, but I can remember Allison's 1st implant surgery and activiation( Jan 2005).
It is so exciting to hear about newly implanted children.
Do you mind I if I add you blog to my list?
I hope that I can be of some help to you and you begin this journey, please let me know.

Shelly

Cloggy said...

Thanks for the comment.. :-)

It's a wonderful journey..
And, it will be an "everyday miracle" from here on...
Will put yuou in Lotte's links...

C U L8R

rouchi6 said...

Thanks for following and I am happy that Jiya has a wonderful mum who would help her get integrated into this new world of sound.I went thru your blog and I am sure your decision to get her CI was after a lot of thought process.Prisha too has severe to profound loss but it is thx to Alaka ma'am that she is very near normal.I am not using CI as in India the facilities are not too good and plus with HA , I have loads of options later on in life.I wanted her residual hearing to be used.With GOOD speech therapy , I have been able to help her.After CI too that is very important.That aspect is missing in India.If you plan to shift, do make sure you have a GOOD speech therapist who specializes in AVT and that there is a centre where there is help for CI kids.Do go thru my youtube videos and I am sure they would help you and Jiya to develop speech.The teacher I have is one of a kind and all her kids go to normal school and have been able to acquire more than one language.If you need any help, do let me know. I would love to help as I know what a parent goes thru.My journey in India was very tough as I had no help and this the reason I blog and upload videos and thru them we have been able to develop speech in a child ,who I have never met, within 8 months.I wish you all the best and do enjoy every moment that you her lil Jiya speak.

Search This Blog